Every child deserves a healthy, happy smile that they can feel confident in sharing with the world. As your child’s teeth and jaws develop, sometimes issues arise, such as crooked, crowded, gapped, or impacted teeth. We provide preventive, interceptive orthodontic treatments for toddlers and young children, including:
- Space maintainers
- Crossbite correction
- Arch expansion
- Oral appliances
Orthodontic treatment reduces or even eliminates the need for more costly orthodontic procedures in the future. Every member of our staff uses a gentle approach to ensure your child receives a beautiful, straight smile they will be proud to show off!
While we can certainly address the needs of young children, we offer a full range of orthodontic solutions for children and teens as well. Here are the services we offer to give your child a beautiful and healthy smile:
- Braces: We use brackets and wires made from a variety of lightweight materials to guide your child’s teeth into the correct alignment over the course of treatment. Elastic bands can also be applied to generate additional pressure on your child’s teeth and jaws.
- Headgear: If we find your child would benefit from headgear, the appliance is attached to the braces from the back of your child’s head. As with rubber bands, headgear is used when extra force is needed to move your child’s teeth and jaws.
- Oral Appliances: Our dentists provide a range of oral appliances that encourage jaw growth and correct bite issues.
- Retainers: Once your child’s orthodontic treatment is complete, they will receive a comfortable, custom-made retainer. The retainer is worn to hold your child’s teeth in their new position and maintain their treatment results. Without regular retainer use, your child’s teeth may shift out of alignment.
What Does Orthodontics Treat?
Your child’s dentist may recommend orthodontic care to treat a range of issues. Early treatment can be in your child’s best interest if our team determines that their condition may become more severe without treatment. We offer interceptive or full orthodontics to treat:
- Crowded teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Excessively spaced or gapped teeth
- Extra or missing teeth
- Thumb-, finger-, or pacifier- sucking that affects your child’s teeth or jaw growth
If your child experiences one or more of the issues listed above, schedule a consultation with our friendly pediatric dental team. We can help you give your child a healthy, happy smile!
How soon can my child be evaluated for orthodontics?
It's recommended that children have their first orthodontic exam before the age 7. By then, your child has enough permanent teeth for our team to evaluate the developing teeth and the jaws. Our team here at Sweetpea Smiles of Richmond is trained to diagnose problems even in infants and toddlers before they become more prominent later in life.
Now Offering New Patient Specials!
Sweetpea Smiles is committed to helping families afford their childrens' dental care needs. Our friendly dentists are dedicated to creating healthy smiles in Richmond and surrounding communities
Insurance & Financing
Sweetpea Smiles works with many dental insurance companies, and we are happy to file and track your claims to help you maximize your benefits. We are in-network with most PPO plans which include the following: Cigna, MetLife, Delta Dental, Aetna, Guardian, BlueCross BlueShield, United Health Care, Principal, and Boon Chapman.
If you don't see your insurance listed here, please give us a call, we are more than happy to help you.Call Us Today!